Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Mission: Quest Accepted!



Hi again! I'm going to take the time now to detail the challenge I will be undertaking over the next year. The mission (and I have chosen to accept it) is to play through all of the main (numbered) Final Fantasy games in 365 days.

This does not include FFXI and FFXIV, which are online installments in the series. Thank goodness too because MMOs really have no "end". I could easily spend all 365 days on just one of those games and perhaps never even beat the main storyline.....I'm looking at you FFXI! *cough*ChainsOfPromathia*cough*

So! What it boils down to is working my way through FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, XIII. That's a lot of roman numerals. 12 in fact. And wow isn't that convenient? 12 games in 12 months. Doable? Absolutely.

Since my curiosity was piqued, I dug into the details a little bit further (this could also be because I'm a scientist by day and statistics are another of my callings....). Breaking it down a bit more, this is how things shake out:

Assuming 100 hours per game x 12 games = 1200 hours 
1200 hours / 365 days = 3.29 hours per day

Again, this seems totally reasonable? The assumption that all 12 games will take 100 hours is probably giving me plenty of wiggle room. The early games in the series should take half of that time, allowing me some more time to play around in the later installments. :)

One more thing to note is what I actually consider "playing through the game". I'm going to consider the challenge complete for a given game once I reach the credits and thank you screen. This does not necessarily include obtaining ultimate weapons/gear/summons etc. It's also probably (okay, definitely) impractical to do any sort of stat maxing or perfect games. I'll try to mention at the outset some "stretch goals" for the games that may or may not include obtaining ultimate weapons, gear, etc.

I figured I would outline some of this stuff in the event that some readers down the line decide to play along with one of the games (or the entire 365 day challenge!). What do you guys think? Can I do it? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment